Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Knowledge November - Day 4 - Hardcore Hangovers
























I've learned that drinking a 250ml bottle of St Agnes brandy at an eighteenth birthday party in less than an hour will leave me throwing up long after I thought it was physically possible to.

The same goes for holiday Ouzo purchased in sunny Greece and sipped in a freezing London bedsit and Sparkling Shiraz guzzled like cordial in 35C heat at an Adelaide BBQ that left me sunburned, septic and strung out under a pine tree.

........Or three pints of Guinness swilled at the Dublin factory immediately following a tour that left me so unsteady on my feet that I knocked over a shelf in their gift shop (cunningly placed just outside their pub) and ended up purchasing a Guiness beach towel as an apology before staggering up O'Connell street to my BnB and wishing that Satan would stop stirring my brains with chopsticks and squeezing my stomach like a bellows.

Those hellish styles of alcoholic beverages have never been yearned for, tasted or touched my me again.

It's not just booze that can give hangovers too frightening to ever contemplate risking again.

Tinned peaches were adored by me as a child up until the age of six. As is typical in small children, I ate too much and did the 'ol blanket vomit later on that night that had Mum changing my sheets in the dark and Dad rushing outside to fling the blankets over the Hills Hoist and blast off the chunky bits still clinging to the wool fibres with the garden hose. The over-riding taste and reminder was of the tinned peaches and not the fried lamb chops, vegetables or ice-cream that accompanied them and I can't even see a can of them being opened without feeling queasy to this day

Yet I can eat enough liqueur, dark, milk, nutty, fruity, nougatty, soft, melted, strong, cakey, ganachey, crunchy, crisp, flowing, hot, frozen and molded chocolate to give me a hangover that's rivalled any of my brandy, ouzo, sparkling shiraz or tinned peaches and literally wake up the next morning and think, "Geez I could go a few rows of chocolate right now."

6 comments:

Helen said...

Yay for first comment (insomnia has its uses after all!)

I find I have that reaction to chocolate, even a little bit makes me feel kind of sick... Unless I've had an emotional crisis in which case I alternate the chocolate anad tissues like a pro!

I also did the Guiness tour! Can't stand the stuff though, so my brother forced me to finish a pint, took photos and sent them to the family back home...

Kath Lockett said...

I can't stand Guinness either and despite being a proud Australian I loathe the taste of beer as well.

River said...

You're a better woman than me then. If I ate enough chocolate to get a hangover, there's no way I'd wake up next day wanting more chocolate. Even right now, I still have several blocks of Lindt left over from the huge stash I bought when they were half price, and I just don't feel like eating ANY of it. Wouldn't mind some tinned peaches and icecream though........

Anonymous said...

too much information

cube said...

Cheers!

;-)

Baino said...

I must have an industrial constitution, I've only ever been sick after a bottle of Keiser Stuhl Rose. Surprising when you think of all the shit we drank in our youth!