Monday, November 30, 2009

Doggy December

I've regaled you with all sorts of self-absorbed drivel in November and it was rather exhausting work. This month, however, I don't intend to throw away the 'post everyday' challenge, but this particular theme just had to happen.
















For all of Sapphire's ten years out of the womb and for the sixteen years that Love Chunks has been 'with me' in the biblical sense they've both known that I've been crazy about dogs.

Embarrasingly so. I love their smiling faces when they're out walking with their owners; their glistening bright eyes, their jaunty little trotting paws, their ability to flop onto the ground and fall asleep instantly. I'll rush up to their owners and gasp, "Can I pat your dog?" and before they've said yes, I'm doing it.

LC shakes his head every time and says, "One day you'll get bitten," but it hasn't happened yet and when it does, it's more likely to be from an owner than a dog.

If reincarnation is true - and my own philosophical and spiritual jury is still out on this issue - I'd love to return to this planet as a much-loved and well cared-for family dog.

As such, this month is going to feature a post, photo or quote about the most loving, noble, idealistic animal on earth - the dog - and what we can learn from them. Which is plenty.

12 comments:

lc said...

I'm not sure I'd describe dogs as idealistic. I think they're a bit too laid back and easy going to indulge in the concoction of ideals.

And whilst you might well have the strength of character to uphold the tradition of canine goodness and righteousness should you be reincarnated as such, I'm pretty sure a lot of blokes wouldn't have the restraint and sensibility to be able to responsibly handle the canine gift of dexterity and flexibility that enables them to provide such intimate care and grooming of their nether regions...

Jan said...

If there is reincarnation, I would like to come back as any dog I ever had. I agree with your assessment of them and look forward to reading more. And I am also a regular voter of yours on BOTB.

Kath Lockett said...

Lc you have a point - I'd like to come back as the same gender: a GIRL dog. However, if men want to return as a boy dog I don't think the surprise-factor would be big enough to register on the scale.

Thanks Jan - don't be a stranger, 'hear?

franzy said...

Doggy December?
This should be interesting ...

Jilly said...

Yes, I'm sure you'll get a few people curiously searching Doggy December.

I of course am from the same school as you - and am taking our little girl to the vet right now for some itchy problem (bye bye$200) - but what can you do, she is soooo cute. xxx

River said...

I know a bit about dogs myself:
1) as a species, I like them.
2) the yapping of small dogs annoys me intensely. (I prefer a bark)
3) I don't want to own one unless I somehow, someday have enough money to properly feed and care for it.
4) I'll stop and pat the occasional dog after I've walked past several times, either coming or going from work so that the dog has had a chance to get used to me.
There's a wonderfully gentle "Dulux" dog in P****** Avenue that I'll pat if he's waiting by the gate.
5) My preferred breeds of dogs are: German Shepherd; Golden Retriever; Border Collie; Beagle.
I'd have one of each of these if I had the money and a property big enough.
6) I love your Milly and wish I'd met her while you were still here in Adelaide.
I was bitten by a Pekingese when I was 5 and recklessly rushed over to pat him; this has probably contributed to my avoidance of the "yappies".

Louise Bowers said...

If I were a dog I'd be a snappy one. One that looked cute and friendly except when you walked passed my front gate then I would let loose on you so you would drop your groceries...oh wait I do that now.

Helen said...

Good to see dogs getting the appreciation they deserve! I agree with River's list of breeds too!

Margo said...

Loved your Knowledge November posts Kath and I'm pretty excited about what Doggy December will bring!

nuttynoton said...

I too do not like small yappy dogs, I have owned labrador and greyhound dogs and both have loving & caring natures and in both cases they were gentle animals. But if you have a dog it is like a child you need to give it time and attention so it is not taken on lightly, here is to doggy, festive December

Baino said...

Excellent from one dog lover to another it's a great idea. If my labrador is any indication coming back as a dog wouldn't be too bad. Well not in my house anyway!

Rowe said...

Horses and dogs are my two favourite animals, Kath. I cannot understand cats, but dogs, ruff ruff, easier to say and spell than mieaowww.