Saturday, December 31, 2011

Let it snow let it snow let it snow .... again

What the.....?

I don't like this stuff at all.

And yet my family saw fit to DUMP ME AT A DOG SITTER'S so that they could go away and spend their time in this stuff. Willingly!  Poo Bum Farty heads....


Apparently Sapphire could barely keep her eyes open. Boredom and the utterly freezing cold wearing down her nervous system I guess.

















Dad looks happier, but then again he is Alpha Male.



They all seemed thrilled to see me when they got back home but the white stuff was still around. I didn't feel like running or sniffing at anything for very long and one morning Sapphire and Mum took me a long walk along bushes, roads and trees I'd never smelt before.

Only to buy me this:


They know that I hate wearing anything on my body except a collar.  One day I was visiting Great Grandpa with Mum and an old lady ruffled my ears a lot and gave me a dog coat, brand new, still in the packet. Mum said 'thanks' and put it on me and I ran away from it - even while still wearing it - flapping my ears furiously so that it twisted around slightly and I could chew the straps off.  

You'd think they'd have learned from that reaction, but no, it didn't stop them from putting a Santa hat on me. It has an elastic strap that my paws can't flick off. Worse though, is that they took photos and laughed.

Back to now.  This thing feels a bit weird and Sapph and Mum are praising me like crazy. "Oooh you're a pretty girl, what a good dog" over and over. I know that already!

But ...... *sniff sniff sniff* ...... 

 




..... I don't feel like rushing any more to get inside...... is that a .....

SQUIRREL??




The coat isn't so bad I guess, but taking it off afterwards is the best thing.


Thus endeth December Details 2011, leaving you with a picture of Milly forsaking the padded, blanketed comfort of her bed for the hard floor in prime sunbeam-soaking location.


I hope you all have a Happy New Year, even if that means going to bed at 9:30pm safe in the knowledge that it'll still be 2012 whether you stay up until midnight or wake up at breakfast time.

13 comments:

Elisabeth said...

True, Kath, too true, the stuff about the arrival of 2012 regardless of whatever time it is when we get to bed. It's scarcely 11 pm here and I'm aching to sleep. I might manage a kip before I go out at midnight to see the fireworks atop the hill, and from a distance, a custom for us, at midnight New Years Eve

Happy New Year, Kath. May 2012 offer all that's good and worthwhile.

Pandora Behr said...

And a very happy new year to you all over there in Geneva. Let's see what 2012 brings - hopefully lots of fun, adventures and squirrels for Milly.
Oh btw - on the subject of meeting bloggers, Elisabeth and I were watching fireworks together tonight... small world.

Enjoy,

Pandx

Plastic Mancunian said...

Crikey,

Milly really IS a talented dog.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Elephant's Child said...

What a talented girl. And pretty with it. A very happy new year to you and yours. I slept the moment of truth away but it seems to have arrived without me.

drb said...

Do they sell booties for dogs as well? I feel cold just looking at Milly walking barefooted on the snow.

HAPPY 2012!! I'm sure it will be better than 2011, at the very least your cosy home is all set up and you know your way around. xo

Wally The Walrus said...

Your entry to 2012 is a little nicer than Adeldayde. It will be 41 today, here, on New Years Day. Yum, yum.

(And at 9am we went out to water plants - walking outside you could feel the eyeballs sizzle - and that was in the shade. It's gonna be a stinker.)

Have fun in the snow!

Jayne said...

LOL
Love the Milly tales and pics, hope she and her family have a wonderful 2012 :)

River said...

Ha Ha! I'm loving Milly's reaction to the snow and her new coat.
Why is LC the only one wearing snow glasses?? Tsk Tsk.

Have you made a snowman yet? Thrown snowballs at each other?

Happy New Year.

nuttynoton said...

Happy New Year to you all, great to see Milly ejoying herself in the slow, My last dog, Tim, used to enjoy running in circles in the snow. hopefully see you later this year!

Baino said...

Happy new year Kath. Frankly the snow looks gorgeous although only since NYD have we actually seen that blue stuff above us. I think summer's finally ariving (the bitumen's melting in Ceduna).

Kath Lockett said...

Thanks Elisabeth. We stayed up to hear all the hooters and fireworks go off and then all went straight to bed - our PJs were on and teeth already brushed!

That's terrific, Pandora! How did you 'recognise' each other?

Milly *is* talented, PlasMan and there are more plans afoot for her in 2012....

E-Child, even if you missed it, you've still got 2012 for another 365 (is it a leap year) days.

Thanks drb - we didn't see any dog booties and nor have we seen any dogs wearing them out in the street. I think their paw pads are pretty robust and having her back and sides covered made an instant difference to how she handled being out in the snow.

I think that the cold and snow here is easier to manage than 41C, Wally, because the heating here is super efficient. In fact none of us have worn a jumper all winter - just t-shirts and maybe a jacket - with a humungous winter parka over the top when venturing outside. Too easy.

Thank you Jayne and I hope that 2012 is a good one for you and yours, too.

River, we bought Sapph some sunnies about an hour after that photo was taken and a friend here lent me her snow goggles. They're definitely worth having.

Thanks nutty - you're welcome anytime!

Baino, ah yes, melting bitumen. I played more than my fair share of country SA tennis on melting bitumen hard courts in 42C temps. These days the wimps call matches off it it's a mere 38C!

ropcorn said...

I love this post! Milly looks quite comfortable in the jacket actually, hehe. Would have been so fun to hear from her what she thinks of all that snow. Lisen loves snow so she would be super happy of we could finally get some here in Lyckeby too! :-)

Kath Lockett said...

Thanks Ropcorn - all the snow here has melted now, but she was getting the hang of the new, very important equation in her life:
Coat on = WALK! Whoo hoo!
No coat = no walk *bummer*