Saturday, December 17, 2011

I can hold it in until I get home

Parc de Trembley - where Milly and I go for our morning walk - has a public toilet block in it.

OK, so that might not be the most fascinating opener used on this blog but public toilets seem to be pretty rare over here and this one sits right next to a primary school. In Australia there'd be uproar. Concerns would be raised about the appropriateness of 'undesirables' that 'lurk' around urine-soaked cement buildings with direct access to kiddies and Today Tonight would be arm-wrestling with A Current Affair for the best vantage point to host a live cross from the studio. All fine here though.

Perhaps to head off any worries before they start, the toilet block has art work on it. Yes, 'real' art work; not some graffiti that is half decent and been left untouched by less-talented vandals, but real, publicly-funded art.

The sad thing is that it's creepy.
















Fancy hanging around with any of these wholesome and fun types to swap thoughts on society, how we can effectively contribute to environmental action and what charity to do volunteer work for?
















......or just share a joke and laugh and bask in their evident happiness and success?




















When the bladder beckons, how about confidently swaggering into the 'Dames' with THIS GUY leering at you?














No wonder the cat's about to chuck.

7 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Bonjour Kath,

Very creepy indeed.

But I've seen worse.

:-)

Cheers

PM

Kath Lockett said...

I guess I've seen worse too, PlasMan, but not an officially-sanctioned one for a public toilet block that shares the wall with a primary school....

Elephant's Child said...

I think I would only go there when I was feeling unwell. One look at that wall and I would, by comparison, suddenly feel so much better. Euw. I like public art, but you are right that is a tad on the disturbed side.

River said...

Love the art!!
I'm kind of glad that leering fellow is on the outside of the block, not the inside of the "dames" section.

Kath Lockett said...

E-Child, 'disturbed' is the best way to describe it.

River, I know why you like it, I just think it could be placed somewhere else as, apart from 'disturbed', it's also rather depressing...?

Red Nomad OZ said...

Even a Scenic Public Toilet lover like me would quail at this one ...

Nicole said...

Wow that is a bit creepy, but I also love it! Your photographs are great. Are you on flickr Kath?