Thursday, December 08, 2011

A close up of Madam Butterfly before jumping into a warm bed

Love Chunks has been my main squeeze since 1993 so buying gifts is getting more and more difficult each year.

He usually ends up with a DVD or a book that is more my taste than his because anything else he wants or likes is sorted/found/purchased at the time of need. His electronic piano is a good example - he knew what type he needed in order to still keep playing without antagonising the neighbours; did his research on features, costs and availability and made the necessary arrangements. The end result sees him happy, our bank balance lighter and a reasonable excuse to 'only get me a card' for his birthday and Christmas this year.

However, when it was his birthday, I didn't want to just write a card (that in itself gets more difficult after eighteen years of togetherness. It isn't acceptable to take the Hollywood executive approach and remake old classics or borrow lines from my twenty four year old self 'I look forward to seeing you come back from prac teaching in Port Pirie in your brown cortina'). Love Chunks deserved something quirky and unique: something that would remind him of our time here in Geneva.

Considering that he's a meteorologist, talented home chef, pianist, runner, AFL-watcher and IKEA Allen key conquerer, he clearly needed:
















Opera glasses from 1806. Made in Geneva at a spot by the river that now seems to be frequented by alcoholics and drug dealers. Yeah, I'm nothing if not considerate of his interests and concerned with practicalities.


















Of course he has no interest in attending an opera and I've only been to one (suffered through Pagliacci with my mother in 1994) but the weathered style of these little guys and the date and the fact that there are antiques and old bits and bobs at flea markets for cheapish prices if you're prepared to rummage and haggle and take your time is addictive. And very enjoyable.

But was that enough - ocular devices long past their relevance? Of course not, so he also got this:




















A nineteenth century copper bed warmer. More than one person commented that it could be used to quell any arguments if the gift wasn't appreciated - CLANG!

Thankfully, he loved them both.

14 comments:

Plastic Mancunian said...

Bonjour Kath,

The best gift for opera are a good set of earplugs, a good book, and a torch to read the book with when the lights go down.

Opera is utter utter utter rubbish.

:0)

Cheers

PM

Elephant's Child said...

Happy birthday to LC and I am with PM on the subject of opera. I think I would rather go to the dentist. It is at least over quicker. Opera death scenes last a life time (my life time).

Romana said...

the perfect gifts for your hubby!

River said...

You really know how to find good gifts Kath. I love the bedwarmer.
Happy Birthday to LC.
This reminds me I still haven't been scavenging at the fisherman's Market....

Kath Lockett said...

PlasMan, I agree. Mum and I just went to one to check out our untested assumption that we'd hate opera. We did.

Thanks EC. The only time opera is enjoyable is when you're singing in that style yourself. For fun.

Yep, he thought so, Romana but do you have any ideas for a Christmas present - WW1 gaters? Chinese vase? Pre-loved Victorian underpants?

River, a scavenge is always fun IF you have the time for it. No rushing, just looking....

Hannah said...

*laughs at Plastic Mancunian's comment* Happy birthday to LC! Well done on such ingeniouisness! Well, except for the part where I thought the bed warmer was a bedpan...

Jayne said...

Happy birthday to LC!
Love the pressies, you hve such great taste in collectables/antiques ;)

Kath Lockett said...

Hannah, I keep saying 'bed pan' instead of 'bed warmer' too and have had to backpedal a few times. "No, LC is fully in control of his bladder, really."

Why thank you, Jayne. Let's hope I can maintain that standard for Christmas and beyond.

Romana said...

I'm thinking the only way to go one up for Chrissy is full metal chastity belt or man-in-the-iron-mask type apparel?

Kath Lockett said...

Romana, I'll keep my eye out - just for you! :P

Anji said...

Rob would like that sort of thing too. The opera glasses are a nice find - I've witnessed the bidding go up at auction. Are you going to have a go with the bed warmer?

Kath Lockett said...

Anji we'd need a barbecue in order to generate some form of hot coals and they're not allowed in our apartment! He'll just have to warm up with me :)

Anonymous said...

I must have imagined writing a comment on this post or I have done something really silly. LC has a discerning wife, one who thinks outside the square and buys him opera glasses. I would like some opera glasses to...well, not sure. I too am with PM. Except for Madame Butterfly and the Roller Door opera. They were both quite good. We shan't mention ballet, shall we.

Kath Lockett said...

Andrew, as with opera, I've done ballet once. Just the once - it was more than enough....