Friday, January 01, 2010

Sapphire?

You're not jumping on the bed, are you?

"No Mum. Juliet and I are connecting our DS-lites together."

What's that whumping sound I can hear all the way up here in the lounge room?

"Probably the neighbours up the street. I think Mr Divvy Van's been naughty again, and Mrs Divvy Van is slamming his car door and swearing. And before you say it, no, it's nothing I haven't heard already at school."

You two have got ten more minutes before you need to go to the toilet, clean your teeth, get some glasses of water and turn the lights out, OK?

(long pause) OK?

(muffled) "Yeah, OK Mum."

Did you bring Skipper in from outside on the lawn?

"Aw Mum, I'm in my nightie now, can you do it?"

Yes, I can, like I do every night. And his clean hutch doesn't just happen you know or the fact that he's still around and hasn't starved to death.... That whumping sound is happening again - what are you doing?

(long pause). "Erm, nothing Mum. Just getting ready for bed."

Several days later, Sapphire asked me to download her camera for her, because the memory card was full.

Luckily for her, my laughing session was too enjoyable to turn into anything resembling a parental scolding session. Best friends at ten years old: does it get any better than that?







12 comments:

Ann ODyne said...

bwah ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !
sprung!

You for a mum is what it probably doesn't get any better than.

Cavies and bunnies LOVE thistle and dandelion leaves. just sayin.

Kath Lockett said...

Thanks Ann!

And don't fret, Skipper gets quite a lot of thistles to nibble because I'm not the most ~ahem~ 'attentive' gardener....

nuttynotons said...

My little Al kept worrying about me as i attemptewd to return to my child like state when sliding down our local icy roads, took me back to those days, and I still have the balance I just do not bounce as well, happy, healthy and caring new year to you all from the nuttynotons

deepkickgirl said...

Love it! Secret bed bouncing, all children do it. I love the pics, tell Saph they are very cool (if cool is still a cool word, otherwise they are hell or rad or whatever means "cool" these days).

Baino said...

Hahahahaha awesome photos, she has a talent that girl! Ah sleepovers, these days I can't wake my lot up! And I know what you mean about the fairies doing all the hutch cleaning. I am about to sprout wings!

River said...

Bed boncing was a very stricy no-no in our house, the beds would have just collapsed in a heap, so we bought the kids a trampoline. Because, let's face it, who wants to be putting the beds back together again every night?

delamare said...

OK - that is hilarious, because I've just posted a pic of Miss Mucks bouncing around like there's no tomorrow!

Helen said...

That's awesome! I was never much of a bed bouncer, but my friends and I spent a lot of time climbing out of my bedroom window! Happy New Year to all three (five including animals) of you!

ashleigh said...

We used to climb up on the windowsill, and then jump onto the bed. Mum and Dad were not impressed. No cameras around in them days to take pics, though.

Benjamin Solah said...

Haha, that is classic, something my sisters would do.

Happy 2010. Hope you have a great year.

welltraveled said...

where are you?missing your fun posts

Cinema Minima said...

Tee hee! Kids hey?

Looks like your having a well earned blog break. Happy new year to you and all the family!