Have you noticed how many World Days there are these days? I mean most of us know about World Tobacco Day, World AIDS Day and International Women's Day, but a quick visit to the United Nations shows that there's a truck-load of Days out there.
Most of them are unarguably worthy, but do make me wonder what kind of celebratory festivities would be involved, particularly for these ones:
- World Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- World Day in Support of Victims of Torture
- World Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
- World Day in Support of Innocent Child Victims of Aggression
- World Day in Commemorating the Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust
....so I'm boldly assuming that there wouldn't be too many plates of cheezels, balloons tied up into poodle shapes or quirky Peruvian pan-pipe bands urging everyone to kick up their heels and dance.
Some of the other World Days might be worthy but are also very dull-sounding or keen to set themselves up for being completely ignored:
- World Day for Natural Disaster Reduction - and how might this come about, pray tell? Buy a ribbon and somehow Krakatoa and Mt Etna will behave themselves? The teutonic plates under the earth's crust along the fault lines will be good and stay still?
- World Development Information Day - did this get slipped in by a Cardigan from the Corporate Planning Unit wanting to justify their job? Zzzzzz......
- World Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict - yep, that's what'll be first thing in the minds of guerilla soldiers as they're laying on their elbows in the mud of the Amazon jungle or running away from seven year old snipers in Africa.
- World Civil Aviation Day - sorry, was I supposed to be riveted? Besides, there's nothing civil about airline service or airport queues from what I've observed.
- World Anti-Corruption Day - yep, this one'll work and change the world - who paid to get this one the official tick?
- World Book and Copyright Day - fascinating; no really - utterly fascinating the swirling hotbed of copyrights must be in order to have a world day to commemorate it
Some that sound rather questionable as to why the entire World needs to stop and observe them as an entire day for themselves include:
- World Television Day - Oh Please......
- International Mountain Day - Yep, we have mountains in the world. Yay!
- World Human Solidarity Day - Um, okay; I guess we could be nicer to each other.
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day - What the - zzzzzzzzz......
- International Mother Language Day - Mother Language? I didn't even know we even had a Mother Language. Did we vote on it when I was out?
- World Day of Cooperation - Sure, it's a nice concept but Sesame Street already do this exceptionally well.
- World Day of Families - Fine. If they're too busy to call, you call.
And some that aren't officially recognised by the UN might find themselves struggling a bit for worldwide acceptance, let alone interest:
- World Reiki Day - get your hands off-a me!
- World Audio-Visual Heritage Day - sounds about as exciting as searching for toenail clippings under the sofa cushions.
- World Rotaract Day - come on, the world needs more adventure playgrounds and BBQ areas.
- World Wetlands Day - sure, sure but it just doesn't sound anything but soggy.
- World Hospice Day - as with mountains, they exist. Yay hospices....
- World Bread Day - Ohferpharkssakes, BREAD day? What about Cheese Day? Ice-cream Day? COFFEE day?
Of course, I have - MUST ask - where the hell is World Chocolate Day??