Monday, March 15, 2010

I'm the type of gal....















After you've banked your dog-eared Christmas gift cheque, been to Medicare, dropped off a faulty watch at the jeweller's and popped into Bunnings for a gas refill, have you ever taken the time to have a roam around and check out your surroundings?

When I'm not compelled by an appointment or an alarm to be anywhere or do anything I love to observe. Usually the subject matter is people but they are very tricky to photograph on the sly. Stuff around my own local area is pretty fascinating as well.


















I passed by a haphazardly-combined Indian and Lebanese mixed-grocery store and, lured in by the hookahs and water pipes on display - as well as the smell of spices and coffee - I spotted this pigeon, trying its hardest to get at the boxes of rice under the counter.

He reminded me of how often I notice - and smile at - the tiny sparrows who fly into food courts, cafes and our local supermarket. One was cheeping away at me earlier that morning from its position on a fluoro light suspended from the ceiling by a chain as I debated what brand of dry dog food to buy. Their existence in our world is often almost invisible, and yet they continue to thrive amongst some of the uglier man-made buildings and facilities.















Further along the same side street was this sign at an Optometrists' clinic. An identical notice was stuck on the left-hand side as well, so that those with poor vision wouldn't keep smacking their short-sighted faces into the glass display windows. I know it was supposed to be helpful, but that didn't stop me snorting out loud to myself.











This sign is much closer to our home, advertising a block of apartments currently under construction. They are situated less than 200 metres away from the grim-looking housing commission tower blocks and are likely to have less space per dwelling but the irony seems to be lost on the people who were eagerly visiting on an open day. As is their acknowledgement that the black glass and silver-balconied boxes' view from the other side directly overlooks the Salvation Army's homeless men's shelter and detox centre. 'Tarting from' is rather apt.




















One Star....? Even as a self-rated coffee shop, they couldn't stretch the truth a little...!?





















....and it's not far from the Sensible Sandwich. What is considered sensible in a sandwich, anyway? Multigrain bread for sure, maybe some low fat cheese and some fresh salad? It still makes me wonder if some wag might set up a competing shop next door selling Ludicrous Lunches or Un-Fun Falafels. Farty Pasties, Dodgy Donuts or Drunken Doner kebabs..... Oh wait, the last one is already operating around the corner from our house.













A strong statement; shame about the spelling. Although, given my utter lack of street smarts and innercity cred, 'herion' could very well be the new Smack. Or crack. Whack? Or is it 'Dack' in Australian parlance?
















There's some real effort made on security at this house. Two mops crossed to ensure that the freshly-cleaned marble entrance remains pristine and no-one slips over and cracks their heads on the white balustrades or cement 'front lawn'.

And let's not forget the totally unoriginal and unrealistic thought I always think when it's late afternoon and my shadow stretches along the road: Ooh, I wish that was my real shape and proportion. *sigh*

11 comments:

Louise Bowers said...

Ah, home is where the art is. Great pics, but boy haven't housing commission flats gone up in price. It's all in the advertising, "enjoy the lifestyle" get more exercise without a lift, "European features" from the Polish couple who hang their washing out the window above...

Wally The Walrus said...

Hay Kaff...

Didja hear about Michael Clarkes accident?

He had a bit of a bingle.

Vanessa said...

You want to be a pinhead?

Kath Lockett said...

Lorna another one they seem to use is 'Smell the coffee' because the funky cafes are right on their doorstep. It's never 'Smell the vomit' in the foyer; 'Collect some needles' in the park; or 'Chat up a drunk' down at the shops....

Oh Wally, that is dreadful!

Vanessa, I never thought it could be interpreted like that - I was actually moaning about how the afternoon shadows give me long and slender limbs. Then again, 'pinhead' is probably what I deserve!

Pandora Behr said...

Nah,I'm sure you're proportions are great as they are - there's pearshaped and pearshaped. Great blog - reminds me of where I live in Richmond - with fewer pigeons.

Nicole said...

I loved the bit about not being able to take photos of people on the sly. On the way home from work (before I was on mat leave) I would take photos of Blacktown station (in the western suburbs of Sydney) with my iphone but would always worry that people would think I was a wierdo if it looked like I was snapping them!

Plastic Mancunian said...

G'Day Kath,

I love "This Is Not A Door" - being short sighted myself I can imagine that it might be a problem for Mr Magoo and his ilk - mind you, my eyesight is so poor I probably wouldn't even see the sign.

Cheers

PM

River said...

AHA!! Ludicrous Lunches. I love it!! What a great idea! It could be like Subway, but with all kinds of fillings available for people to mix'n'match. Like mixed breads, one white slice-one wholemeal, with a nutella and sardine filling. Wacky stuff.
Do you really, truly, wish that your shape matched your shadow? 8 foot legs and a pin sized head?
I laso love just wandering and looking after the "work" is done. Into town, buy this, this and this, then just wander, look, have a coffee or hot chocolate......I can do that again now.

River said...

"laso"? that would be "also"
haha

Helen said...

'This is not a door' made me laugh! Considering I walked into a tree yesterday anyway...

Baino said...

The units in the 'poorer' area remind me of Sydney's Redfern. BMW's on one side of Everly street and aboriginal slums on the other. Such a dichotomy.

Haha the 'one star' reminded me of Stanley Crapp Funerals in Kiama . .seriously! Perhaps the 'artist' was a little smacked and cracked. You don't really want legs up to your armpits and little Tyrannosaur armies? My you have a big dog though!