Wednesday, December 05, 2012

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine















Pandora has very generously given me a Sunshine Award which is ironic considering I haven't seen any for several weeks now and it's forecast to be -8C on Friday.

Still, she insists that I bring a bit of sunshine to her day and has asked me to answer eight questions and then ask some of my favourite bloggers to answer 'em as well.  

1. What is your favorite Christmas/Holiday movie?


Elf. I really don't like Will Ferrell all that much, but in this he is perfect and earned his salary by wearing yellow tights and green velvet.  
Buddy is a small baby in an orphanage who accidentally crawls into Santa's sack on Christmas Eve and subsequently raised at the North Pole. Now grown up, he feels out of place amongst the tiny and industrious elves and decides to leave and search for his real father in New York. 

When he's shown the mail room (where he is to start work), he says, "This place reminds me of Santa's workshop, except that it smells like mushrooms and everyone looks like they want to hurt me."

And later, when he believes that leaving his family is the best action to take, he writes them a farewell note on an Etch-a-Sketch and reads it out loud to himself: "I'm sorry I ruined your lives and crammed eleven cookies into the VCR."

Being duped by a crappy cafe with a neon sign touting 'World's Best Coffee' and rushing in to congratulate them is another highlight.


















2. What is your favorite flower?

Roses and violets for their smell, tulips for their elegant beauty. I carried a dozen long stemmed cream roses on my wedding day. They looked terrific and, just as importantly, gave my nervous hands something to hold onto.

3. What is your favorite (non-alcoholic) beverage?

Coffee made by Love Chunks, water at room temperature and Coke Zero whilst living here in Switzerland.  At 'home' in Australia it's all of the above and Farmers Union Feel Good Iced Coffee when it's very very chilled straight from the fridge.

4. What is your passion?

Love Chunks, for obvious reasons, but I'll name just three of them. Kindness, strength (in all senses of the word) and humour.

Sapphire because she's a complex creature that I've got the privilege of seeing grow.  Plus her hair smells nice.

Milly because she's my velvety, farty friend who does a good show of listening to every bit of nonsense I say or sing to her. Plus, her fur smells nice when she hasn't elected to roll in a dead hedgehog or leftover kebab in the park.

Writing because it makes my brain do strange and wonderful things.

5. What is your favourite time of year?

Early autumn when it's still warm enough to wear t-shirts during the day but cool enough at nights to want to snuggle under the covers and dust off the ugg boots.  Not so late autumn, as here in Switzerland the leaves have dropped and get dangerously slimy from the rain. Skidding downhill with shopping bags in both hands is not a pleasant sensation. But yes, it's hilarious when it happens to other people.

6. What is your favourite time of the day?

Late morning tea time.  I'm a morning person and by Second Coffee O-clock, I usually feel proud of what I've done in the day so far but can't usually boast of being anywhere near as productive afterwards.

7. What is your favourite physical activity?

Running. When my pesky Achilles finally heals, I'll be at it again: on the treaddie, waving to furniture removalists passing by in their cherry pickers and singing my heart out.  Otherwise it's walking with Milly, swimming laps and - a brand new discovery - snow skiing.

8. What is your favourite vacation?

Impossible to answer. London every time; Ayers Rock/Central Aust with LC and Sapphire; Italy, Germany, Singapore, New Zealand and Scotland.  The more you travel, the more you realise what you haven't seen - never set foot on either of the American continents, been to Japan, Scandinavia or eastern Europe. Yet.















I'm now meant to nominate eight other bloggers for the award.  It's up to them if they want to answer the questions, but here goes:

Franzy - Writing
Dianeb - Adventure before Dementia
Fen - Between the wires
Red Nomad Oz
Baino's Banter
Hannah - Wayfaring Chocolate
Deep Kick Girl
Ropcorn - My life in Sweden

10 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you, Kath! You are lovely. Alas, I'm so behind in my travel posts that I'm not proving very good at following through on memes/questions when I'm tagged in them - please forgive me if I don't get around to this soon!

I'm the opposite of you in terms of time productivity. I seem to kick into gear from 9pm-midnight, and can't seem to do anything but pleasantly potter until Second Coffee O-Clock!

Unknown said...

You should definitely try japan when you get the chance. It's a lot friendlier to English language only than you might expect.
Definitely put a little sunshine in my day :D

franzy said...

I accept your challenge.
Probably next week, though.

MedicatedMoo said...

No worries, Hannah. I always worry when I nominate other bloggers - they've either already had the award or hate memes or are too busy or ....

Thanks Kirstie, I'd love to go there some day.

Franzy, you're on.

River said...

I see why Pandora gave you this award. It has nothing to do with that golden orb in the heavens and everything to do with you being a ray of sunshine in all our lives.

MedicatedMoo said...

Aw, thanks River! As a previously-awarded recipient, I can say the same thing about you, too.

Elephant's Child said...

And another post from you ALWAYS brightens my day. And real, not metaphoric, sunshine will be with you very soon now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kath, I have often popped over to your blog from Adventure Before Dementia (Diane is a friend) and just love your writing. You give me many laugh out loud occasions. Have to ask you about the photo of Millie at the beginning of your last blog. Is Millie from Tasmania or are there two dogs on the bed? To the right of Millie's backside I am positive there is another dog's face. (No offence meant to any Tasmanians who may read this comment.) Annj

MedicatedMoo said...

Thank you E-Child, yep, in a couple of weeks I'll be back on home soil!

Hi Annj, and welcome! Erm the picture isn't actually of Milly; it's of two tired dogs sleeping head to tail! I loved their look of contentment mixed with exhaustion!

ropcorn said...

Thank you so much for the nomination, Kath! Loved reading your answers. My fave physical activity is of course also walking my doggy. :) Not that fond of running though... though I wish I was! ;)

I probably won't get around to do a post with answers, just don't have the time right now. But I do appreciate that you picked my blog. :p Thanks again!